Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Our life in Warsaw....six months later

Six months have passed since we first arrived in Warsaw. Reflecting back on our arrival and the early months that followed, I realize how far we have come in such a short period of time.

In the past six months, I have learned to drive (the Polish way) squeezing my SUV into tight spaces and parking on the sidewalk like everyone else and it no longer frightens me to drive here. I have learned Polish to the extent that I can now have simple conversations with people who actually understand what I am saying and I them. I can write a bit in Polish as well. I am no longer reluctant to go out and get what I need because I can now communicate. I read signs and they mean something to me. I think in Polish!

I have managed to diminish my grocery shopping from 3 hours to about 1 hour (except holidays when everything seems to take more time). I can read labels now so that I know what I am consuming. In the past 6 months, two hypermarkets (supermarkets) have merged and one has now caught on to the idea of bagging groceries for customer and conducting price checks if needed. Even packaging for products seems to have changed. And the people who once weighed produce have now been replaced by a do it yourself computer that expedites the process (except if you have an old lady in front of you trying to work the computer).

Things that seemed odd to me when I first arrived, seem normal now. Things that were normal to me in the United States sometimes feel odd. Metric/Currency conversions are matter of fact now and I think on a 24 hour instead of 12 hour clock. While I’m certainly careful, being more aware of my environment now, I am no longer reluctant to set off with Thing 2 through the city by myself. I actually feel very comfortable doing so.

I found a magnificent, kind, decent housekeeper who transformed into a surrogate grandmother (babcia) to my children (dziecki) and to my dogs (psy). She cares for both when we are away and has welcomed us into her own family. I hope to keep in touch with her and her family long after we leave here.

Now, with the warmer weather, we have finally begun to travel both around Poland and through Europe which always gives me something to look forward to. Warsaw is changing slowly. You can tell that there are projects underway to bring this city up to the level of other European capitals. And, Starbucks is coming later this year!!! As an Irish cab driver told me earlier this month, “Poland is where Ireland was 15 years ago.” It will be interesting to see what EU funding will do for this once communist country in 15 -20 years.

I am doing things that I never had time to do when I was working full time. I bought myself a piano and started playing again. I take my weekly Polish lessons and have time to do my homework. I write. I read. I can bake cookies and cupcakes for the special occasions at Thing 1's school and even attend a field trip when parents are needed. I have seen Thing 2 meet her milestones in person rather than by report. Thing 2 and I meet up with the Mums and Tots group weather and nap time permitting and I have taken an extra step to become more involved. By the end of this month, I will be taking over as webmaster for the Mums and Tots website. The site is kind of dated and I am looking forward to updating it and maintaining it while I am here. I’ve never done something like this before, but I enjoy working with computer and creating things so it should keep me busy.

I have been feeling very happy lately. Very noticeable to me since the past months of dreary grey skies had really done a number on me. I now understand why bears hibernate.

Maybe it is the fact that flowers are blooming, the skies are blue, and I (along with my family) can forgo the extensive layering of clothing when we leave the house or the fact that my children have adjusted well and my husband is nearing the end of his time consuming Master’s program. But, as I thought about it more, I realize that for the first time in six months I feel settled. I finally feel at home in Warsaw. I have become Martha Stewart!

No comments: