Sunday, April 8, 2007

A New Hope?

No, it's not Star Wars, it's Starbucks! Poland is certainly moving up in the world. Later this year, Starbucks is set to open its first shop in Poland, likely (I hope) here in Warsaw. Since other EU countries have Starbucks, I thought for sure I would find one in Warsaw. Wrong! It was disappointing at first, but I got used to Coffee Heaven – the Polish version of Starbucks. However, I prefer Starbucks. In Ireland, I asked the concierge for directions to the nearest Starbucks. Before he told me, he said “I just don’t get it. I just don’t get what Americans see in Starbucks.” I kept my mouth shut, but I was thinking “Don’t get what? The coffee I got at the local coffee shop this morning was horrible. I threw it out!” I can see why Irish food is not very popular around the world.

No comments: