Friday, November 7, 2008

The Name Game

Polish is a very confusing language. It is even more confusing when it comes to names. In the USA, at most, you may have a nickname. In Miami's Cuban society, you can add "ito" or "ita" to anyone's name and you have an affectionate Spanish name. But neither is really complicated. Not so in Poland!

In Polish, you say a person's name different based on the context of what you are saying to them.  I have no clue which is which even after lengthy explanations by the Polish teacher. The given name "Anna" which is very common here ( I know like 4 different Anna's) is said "Ania" ( with the "n" sounding link the spanish "ñ". Then on top of that, depending on how you use it, you say "Anio" or "Aniu." And your gender matters not...I have heard classmate called Nathan as "Nathana." You should see the face on any given American man when a Pole pronounces their name in this way.

Thing 2 is quite impressionable when it comes to names. They have to be pronounced the right way or else. Her little French friend is named Marie, but I am not allowed to say that with my American accent - I must strive to say it with the French pronunciation or she will make sure I know I am doing it wrong.

Thing 2's name doesn't have ending changes because it is a relatively new name - she is probably the only girl living in Poland at the moment with this name. So, people make one up. The most common one is "Mischa" or "Mischu" which I think is cute.

I have no problems with this. But, she will have to wait until she is 18 to legally change it. At least, it's not Princess Banana Hammock ala Phoebe Buffay on FRIENDS!

3 comments:

Nature Girl said...

I find it interesting how people of other nationalities pronounce my name, especially since it's rather ordinary in English. When I lived in Germany, all my German friends said my name in a singsong fashion: "Kee-im", even giving it 2 syllables! But I can empathize with your frustration as it seems there is no rhyme or reason behind the Polish. Maybe that's why there are so many Pole jokes where I'm from originally (WI). ;-)

Globetrekking Mom said...

I have some Asian friends and some of them have "kim" in their names and people here do the same thing. My name gets pronounced well here (it is Eastern European), but is butchered all the time in the US. I have just gotten used to it.

Lucy Filet said...

There is not a single person who pronounces my name correctly. Well, Bernadette does, and I immediately fell in love with her, but that has to do with the fact that I assume Americans cannot pronounce my name and I introduce myself using the American sound of my name.

I had a Mexican friend when I was in high school who would pronounce my name Kee lee ay which I just thought was so cool.

And Dr. D in Wilanow calls Tobiah, Tobiasz. I love it!