Monday, June 11, 2012

Our Life in Chapters

It seems that every few years we find ourselves at similar crossroads. I have come to regard this as chapters to our family story. 

Since I married my Cat in 2001, we have moved (not counting our first place together) about five times.  We have now experienced moving as a couple, as a family with an infant, as a family with an infant and preschooler, as a family with a preschooler and school age child and now as a family with two school age children. Each move a chapter, a new learning experience with new challenges. 

We just closed another chapter this week saying good-bye to friends, school and work once more and now we embark on our good-byes to family.  It is a sad, exciting, stressful, happy time in our lives.  But, as I tell Thing 1 & Thing 2, good-byes are as important as hello.  Good-byes free us to move on to the next chapter. 

People keep asking me when we are leaving the country.  Right now, I am visiting with my family and trying my best to focus on the present and enjoy my time with them, as I did with my friends in Virginia.  Focusing on what's to come breeds anxiety and dwelling on the parts of our lives we leave behind breeds depression, neither of wish is welcome at this time of our lives.  We will have plenty of time to dwell on leaving the country while we are at the airport finalizing this last chapter.


No comments: