Friday, December 1, 2006

Back in the driver's seat

Since I started driving around I have noted additional quirks about driving here. For the most part most things are the same. Cars, contrary to what people think, are not all small. Many people have SUV’s and vans. There is also the “Smart Car.” I saw this in Virginia over the summer so I think it has made it’s way to the US . Here is the their website: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/.

Parking spaces are smaller here and I tend to park out further so that I have space to park. Roads are not very small, but since cars park on the side of the road, it makes it narrow. I haven’t had any problems navigating though.

Traffic signals here look the same as they do in the US, but they do have one thing that differs. Right before a red light turns green, drivers get a flashing yellow light to alert them that the signal is about to change. I think the reasoning behind this has to do with the fact that the majority of European cars have manual transmission. The yellow light allows drivers to shift gears a few seconds before the green light. This is brilliant and would be great in the US especially in Florida where some people seem to have a 3 second delay between the light turning green and their actual movement forward.

Stop signs are also the same as in the US except you don’t necessarily find them at every intersection. I just stop out of habit whenever I note an intersection with no lights or signs. But otherwise, if no one is coming you don’t really have to stop. Speed limits are also not consistent. Some roads have speed limits in km, but some of the main roads seem like the German autobahn. People go really fast and you really have to check all mirrors before changing lanes.

Making left turns is also interesting. People pull out into the intersection in a line (similar to the US) to wait for an opportunity to turn. However, people that are way in the back of that line have no problems creating an alternate line on either side of you. So, waiting to turn you may have about 5-6 cars in the queuing area and then when the light turns red all 6 proceed to merge on to a sometimes one lane road.

Gas prices are much higher than in the US. You pay by the liter, not gallon, and each liter is about 3.79 zloty which is about 1.30 USD PER LITER!!! That’s about 5.20 USD PER GALLON! For my Honda CRV, it costs me about $80 USD (that includes VAT which I will get back) to fill up. Before we moved, I believe I paid about $37-40 USD to fill up. The nice thing is that since The Cat in the Hat takes the bus to work and I travel only locally, it lasts for 2 weeks. Plus, we only have 1 car now so it is cheaper anyway.

Servicing my car is easier than I thought. The American Community Association (ACA) has a mechanic that will drive my car to the Honda dealership, request the service, wait for the car and return it to the Embassy when completed. I don’t have to wait anymore. I have an appointment this week to get my all weather tires and winter service.

No matter the expense, I love being able to drive. Even if I don’t go anywhere, I like to know that I can and that I don’t have to call someone to pick me up. Plus, it’s the only way to really orient myself to the city. I need my brain to make these new connections.

No comments: