Saturday, November 4, 2006

Crime in Warsaw

Preventing terrorist attacks is a big deal here and I find myself even more hypervigilant now that we are here than I ever was at home. They recently caught a group of Iraqi and Bahraini men trying to cross the German/Polish border illegally. And Germany is a cesspool of terrorist activity. To give you an idea, any time we drive into the Embassy, their staff search for explosives. It doesn’t matter if you go there everyday and are friendly with the people there. They search it anyway. While it’s a pain, it is comforting that they are doing what they can to prevent a bombing.

Crime is also prevalent here or so I am told. My perception is that the more comfortable you are with your surroundings the less you will perceive the crime around you. I lived in the United States most of my life and while I was careful I wasn’t as aware of potential for crime as I am here. What I am told is that thieves here work in groups. Some provide distractions while others rob you. Violent crime happens, but not as much. Most people try to avoid confrontation with their victims. Pickpocketing is popular. I do limit my outings with the kids because of this. With a stroller, two kids, and a diaper bag/purse, I am a vulnerable target. I keep to my neighborhood and venture out further in a taxi or with other people. Some thieves will smash your window while you are parked at a light and grab your purse if you keep it in the passenger seat. This happened to someone recently. The thief took a diaper bag and when he realized this, he gave it back to the woman and ran. I feel pretty safe at home because it is a fortress. To enter our courtyard/porch you have to ring a buzzer before we let you in.

Overall, I am more careful only because if something were to happen here, it would be more difficult to find help.

No comments: