Friday, August 15, 2008

Guten Tag Munich!

We finally got to Munich around 10:45am (4:45am EST). Despite the hassle of the delay, missing a connection and running on very little sleep, for some reason it did not bother me as much as it did in the past. United actually surprised me. They are notorious for delays, but they handled this one really well. I was equally impressed by their aircraft. You have to understand that I have flown Lufthansa for the past couple of years and while I love the German airline, the planes leave much to be desired, particularly when you recline your seat and your head is literally sitting on the lap of the person behind you. Not so with this United flight. There was more than enough legroom and no strange heads on my lap.

There was some sort of group of military or military school guys, young guys, traveling aboard and a group ended up sitting next to us and behind us. Thing 2, true to form, started flirting until I put an end to that and got her in her seat. She insisted on listening to It’s a Small World on her Ipod over and over.

Eventually, she passed out soon after our meal and slept until we touched down in Munich. Thing 1 watched some cartoons and also fell asleep soon after Thing 2. I came in and out of my coma throughout the flight. Overall, the kids did great.

Our 4 hour layover proved to be more fun than anticipated. We met some very nice people who were in our same situation and spent some time talking with them. I love the Munich airport and highly recommend it over Frankfurt anyday. They have two terminals connected by an extensive courtyard, the Munich Airport Center. There is a Burger King there with a play area for kids, a biergarten, a grocery store, car rentals, etc. So, after getting our boarding passes for our new flight and freshening up, we headed to Burger King for lunch. It had to be about upper 50’s – low 60’s and its summer! While we were all wearing short sleeve shirts and jeans, we loved the weather so much that we ate outside. They had a volleyball tournament in the courtyard, complete with sand and everything which provided some nice entertainment for lunch.

After lunch we went through airport security, another reason I like this airport. I have never been delayed by security here. It was all too easy! The airport also has an extensive selection of high end stores to shop or window shop and a toy store which the kids gravitated towards. I had Euro to blow so I got them each LEGO/PlayMobil toy and brought them to the gate. So here they are playing with their toys and giving me an opportunity to catch up on e-mail, blogging.

What a difference a year makes! Even Thing 2 knew the routine, getting into her seat and buckling her own seatbelt. I love being car seat free – at least on a plane. Thing 1 is self sufficient except for airplane bathrooms. I actually have to take him there and let him get out of the bathroom before flushing because he hates the loud suction noise the toilets make. Ironically, I was e-mailed a newsletter with the following link which I found very entertaining. Young entrepreneurs take note, there is a gold mine to be made here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26179104/

Well, we are almost ready to board, more later….

No comments: