Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Delay

So, I am not quite on the other side of the pond yet! After a wonderful uneventful flight from Miami to Washington/Dulles, we are now delayed due to some mechanical issue. And the domino effect continues since we now effectively missed our connection in Munich. Therefore, my 19 hour ordeal is becoming more of a 25 + hour one. I think I may have inadvertently willed this delay into being (see previous post) exactly as I predicted.

The kids have been great. Thing 1 played with his Leapster game thingy (like a Gameboy for the younger set) and Thing 2 took a nap about 20 minutes into the flight and woke up about 15 minutes before we landed. The flight attendant and one of the passengers near us gave me a thumbs up for managing them so well and being so well prepared. He said that he has seen parents that let the kids do whatever they want. I believe it since I have seen those same parents he’s talking about.

After arriving in Dulles, we headed towards our connection. It started to board and then suddenly, they stopped and began to deplane the passengers on board. After confirming the delay, I took the kids to Wendy’s and we ate dinner and now we are here sitting waiting for their engine test to be completed so we can get going. Luckily for me, Thing 1 is busy with his zip loc bag of LEGOS and Thing 2 made friends with a crew member, colored, played with her dolls and is now watching videos on the Ipod.

In a way this is good, since the likelihood of these two passing out once we get on board is high – it’s high for me too! I packed lots of snacks and those Uncrustables Sandwiches. Ok, gotta go since we are now boarding and I am getting a 3 free tickets for being patient with United.

No comments: